• Banner001
  • Banner002
  • Banner003

School Information Report

What are Special Educational Needs?

Definitions of special educational needs (SEN) taken from section 20 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  1. have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  2. have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them.

Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.

What should I do if I think my child has SEN or a disability?

Contact your child’s tutor or Head of Year or contact the Academy’s SENCO for further advice or information. A meeting can then be arranged to discuss matters further.
If you have previously sought medical advice regarding your child’s needs then please bring this information to the meeting.

Useful contacts:

SENCO: Mrs J Rivers

Class of 2023
Head of Year: Mrs M Blaney

Class of 2022
Head of Year: Mrs C Shuttlewood

Class of 2021
Head of Year: Miss M Reynolds

Class of 2020
Head of Year: Mrs S Birch

Class of 2019
Head of Year: Mr A Higgs

Meet the SEND team 

send team1

How will I know how my child is doing?

You will receive a copy of your child’s Pupil Profile at the beginning of the academic year followed by an invitation to review your child’s profile at least 3 times during the academic year. If you are unable to attend any of the review meetings then you may wish to contact Mrs Rivers (SENCO) to arrange an alternative meeting.
You will be updated about your child’s progress through regular progress reviews and parents evenings.
You are more than welcome to contact any of the SEN team or child’s tutor/Head of Year to discuss their progress and attainment whilst at The Farnborough Academy and any concerns you may have.

How will my child be assessed to see if they need extra support?

extra support

EAL Provision: What is EAL? 

EAL stands for English as an Additional Language. Pupils with EAL are those who have not been exposed to English as their first language from birth.

Pupils with EAL vary greatly in their proficiency in English, ranging from having no English to being fluent. Their ethnicity and nationality also vary widely. Every pupil with EAL has a different background; each one therefore has different needs when they arrive at the Academy.

What provision is there on arrival for a pupil with E.A.L?

At the admission interview, the EAL coordinator and the Head of Year will gather as much information as possible regarding the pupil’s educational and linguistic background. The Head of Year will then determine which set to place them in and allocate suitable ‘buddies’ to help the new pupil settle in to school.
Shortly after admission, the EAL coordinator will do an initial assessment based on the four aspects of English – reading, writing, speaking and listening. The pupil is then given an EAL level. At this assessment the pupil is also given the opportunity of discussing any concerns they have as a new member of the Academy. This may range from struggling in lessons to feeling homesick. The Academy can then ensure these problems are addressed. The assessment will be repeated at regular intervals

Settling into life at the Academy

Pupils with EAL are encouraged to take an active part in extra-curricular activities, both as enrichment of their time at school and also as a means of socialising with other pupils. For some, football at break and lunch is the perfect time to share a common ‘language’!
Staff will consider the needs of pupils with EAL when planning and delivering their lessons.
Teaching staff will monitor the progress of pupils with EAL closely to ensure that those making rapid progress are placed in appropriate groups and those struggling in certain subjects are given the support they need.
After three or four weeks the EAL coordinator and the Head of Year will review how each pupil is settling in and take any action considered appropriate to their needs.

The Farnborough Academy welcomes pupils from all nationalities, backgrounds, cultures and ethnic groups and recognises the diverse needs of pupils with EAL.

How will my child be involved in planning for his/her education?

Post-16 Transition

  • All pupils at The Farnborough Academy will have access to Futures (Career information and advice service). This includes interview experience (1:1).
  • Futures can offer home visits for pupils and parents. This includes a specialist representative who works with pupils on the autistic spectrum.
  • Information about sixth forms, colleges, apprenticeships and training providers is given to all pupils.
  • All year 11 visit a careers fair and are offered guidance. A teaching assistant will normally accompany pupils and relevant information will be displayed on the ‘Employability Board’ in the Learning Support Unit (LSU).
  • There are various enterprise and employability events that happen throughout the year with pupils in all year groups to prepare them for life after Farnborough.
  • Visits arranged throughout the year to various colleges and universities to raise aspirations for all pupils.
  • Transition meetings and visits can be arranged and relevant information is shared with support staff at college.

How can I help to support my child’s learning?

  • Visit the school website and the links to relevant information.
  • Check your child’s homework planner regularly.
  • Encourage your child to attend homework/revision clubs (these are available in the Learning Support Unit (LSU) and in individual subject areas).
  • Know your child’s targets and actively encourage your child to work hard to achieve them.
  • Encourage your child to engage in extra-curricular activities.
  • Follow advice given by staff/external agencies.
  • Attend regular planning and review meetings.
  • Attend Parents Evenings.

How will my child be involved in planning for his/her education?

  • Your child will be able to review his/her Pupil Profile, at least 3 times a year with a member of the SEND department.
  • Attend Parents Evenings to speak to his/her tutor and subject teachers.
  • Your child may be able to attend meetings with external agencies when necessary.
  • Your child will be made aware of his/her targets for all subject areas and be expected to attend any intervention that is put in place to assist with meeting these targets.

Your child will need to take responsibility for their learning by:

  • Keeping their homework planner up-to-date and completing all homework (homework club is available in the Learning Support Unit (LSU) and in specific subject areas).
  • Talk to their tutors/subject teachers/teaching assistants when they have a problem.
  • Select their GCSE options carefully with parental and staff guidance.
  • Undertaking relevant assessments to qualify for intervention.
  • Discussions with staff/ teaching assistants about how their education could be improved i.e. what intervention is necessary to enable them to achieve their targets.

How are resources allocated to match the needs of children with SEN?

  • All staff are teachers of SEND and are trained to enable them to meet the variety of needs of pupils within the classroom (all staff take part in regular CPD/training sessions).
  • Teaching assistants will be available in lessons to support pupil’s learning where necessary.
  • Small group support/one-to-one support where necessary.
    SEND breakfast/afterschool meetings for you and your child.
  • Exam Access Arrangements – assessments for these will take place in Year 9.
  • External agency support e.g. Speech and Language Therapists, Autism Outreach, Visual Impairment Team, Hearing Impairment Team, Educational Psychologist.
  • Provision of specialist resources where an identified need is established.

How will the curriculum be personalised to suit my child’s needs?

  • Pupil Profiles will be given to all teaching staff to inform differentiated planning.
  • Additional in-class support (teaching assistants) in appropriate lessons.
  • Subject specific intervention sessions.
  • Specialist equipment provided for students where appropriate.
  • Exam Access Arrangements.
  • Alternative curriculum where necessary.
  • Achieve Literacy Group.

What additional services could be available for my child?

The Farnborough Academy

Experienced teaching assistants
Multi-Agency meetings
Team around the child meetings

Independent Advice

Parent Partnership – provide support for parents in pupil review meetings

Local Authority Support Services

Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS)
Educational Psychology Service
Key Learning Centres
Hearing Impairment Team (HI)
Visual Impairment Team (VI)
Physical Disability Support Service (PDSS)
Occupational Therapist
Autism Outreach Team (AOT)
Local Support Team (LST)
Education Welfare Worker (EWW) & Family
Support Worker
Social Services

Health Services

School nurse
Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
Speech and Language Therapists
Midlands Psychology

What training and expertise do staff have with SEND?

Regular CPD sessions are available for all teaching staff and support staff.

  • Specific training in aspects of SEN through in-service training.
  • Qualified teaching assistants (some with specialisms).
  • The SENCO is currently completing the National Award for SENCOs.
  • Strategy banks are shared with all staff on a weekly basis.

How will decisions be made about what support my child will receive?

  • Your child’s progress will be tracked regularly across all subject areas.
  • For pupils with SEND but without an Education Health and Care Plan (ECHP), the decision regarding the support required will be taken by the SENCO in consultation with staff and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
  • For pupils with an Education Health and Care Plan (ECHP), the decision will be reached when a plan is being produced and the needs have been identified.
  • Change in a pupil’s circumstances which has an effect on their well-being may lead to certain interventions being arranged.
  • Recommendations resulting from assessments by outside agencies.

What if the support provided for my child is not effective?

The support provided for your child will be measured in a number of ways. If the support is effective we would expect to see that your child is happy in school and showing expected progress in most or all subject areas.
If the support provided is not showing effective, then evidence will be gathered to see where your child needs further intervention and what kind of intervention will be appropriate.
Any intervention that includes your child will be reviewed on a regular basis and if it is not successful then further intervention/a new style of intervention will be put into place.
We can also measure the effectiveness of the support that your child is receiving through regular communication with parents and carers.

How will my child be included in extra-curricular activities?

  • Your child will be invited to access all extra-curricular activities at lunchtimes and after school.
  • Tutors and subject staff will inform all pupils about extra-curricular activities and timetables will be displayed in all tutor rooms.
  • Any relevant risk assessments for out of school activities will be carried out.
  • Planning for appropriate transport and reasonable adjustments to make sure that all pupils are able to take part.
  • The Learning Support Unit (LSU) also provides breakfast, break time, lunch time and after school opportunities for pupils.

What should I do if I have a complaint?

In the first instance if you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about the support your child is receiving please contact one of the following:

SENCO (Mrs Rivers)
Deputy Head (Mrs Watson)
The Head Teacher (Mr Jobling)

Complaints will be dealt with in line with the Children and Families Act 2014 clause 32 statements and the school’s own complaints procedure.

Further information and advice

The Farnborough Academy website


Nottingham City SEND Local Offer


National Parent Partnership Network


Futures (Careers advice and information)


British Dyslexia Association (BDA)


Autism support


National Autistic Society (NAS)


Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)


National Deaf Children’s Society


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)


Inclusive Education Services (IES)


The Local Offer

Nottingham City SEND Local Offer